Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

In Debt Before 25: Books

Last summer after my brothers asked my dad for money for the second time that week, they got a scolding lecture in return. He said something along the lines of “I’ve sent you abroad to learn a thing or two. I was hoping you learned how to manage your money” and “you’ll be one of those people who are in debt before they’re 25 if you don’t learn how to manage your money”. Now while this lecture wasn’t for me, I got a good share of eye contact from my dad! So here is a series of posts entitled In Debt Before 25 and through it I’ll tell you where my money gets spent. Enjoy! 

Poster


I have a weak spot for books and I have always loved reading. I remember getting an award from our school’s library for borrowing the most number of books between the lower elementary students. I’ve read a lot of books, not as much as I want to but a good amount.

Favourite Book



Amazon

 
If you ask me about the one book that really made me get into reading then that will be The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I surprisingly don’t own a copy of this. I first read it as part of our English reading in grade 6 and I’ve loved it since. 


Prettiest Book Cover


Amazon

My prettiest book cover has got to be the Jane Austen: Seven Novels, Barnes & Noble Collectible Edition. It is so pretty I couldn’t take a decent picture of it! You’ll be surprised to know that the first book I have ever read by Jane Austen was just last summer. I read Pride and Prejudice after watching the adaptation on YouTube. Shame, I know.


Changed My Reading Style




No, not the Harry Potter series. I haven’t read those yet which drives Harry Potter fans crazy. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzzane Collins has definitely changed my style of reading and got me hooked on the dystopian themed stories. After reading The Hunger Games I read the Divergent  trilogy and The Maze Runner series. I’m planning to read George Orwell’s 1984 this year.

Fairytales





The kid in me always takes control! I love fairytales more than anything. Something about them makes me happy. One of my friends got me The Complete Fairytales by The Brothers Grimm for my birthday. I haven’t got around to reading them yet but again it’s part of my 2014 reading list.



Favourite Bookshop





Waterstones is a 5 minute walk from my flat which makes buying books VERY appealing. It has anything and everything I need. I have their loyalty card which you collect points in and one of those stamping loyalty cards where you get a £10 voucher after 10 stamps. The problem with loyalty cards is that it makes me justify every single book purchase, not that there is a problem with spending on books.



You can find me on goodreads 

What is your favourite book? 

No comments:

Post a Comment